NMAI Artist Leadership Program Part 4: Smithsonian NMAI Cultural Resources Center

We spent two days in the CRC (Cultural Resources Center) collections with our assistant, Callie Martin. With gloves on, we handled artifacts nearly two hundred years old. I overcame some personal fears too.

Callie Martin and Sarah Elisabeth preparing to pull out Choctaw artifacts

I took each object out with great care and concern so these objects will be in the same condition for my grand kids

Lynda Kay took a quick break from taking photos to handle objects
From the baskets to where I'm standing, and all the way up are where the Choctaw objects are held in the CRC
Each tray is loaded with treasures from the past
A turtle shell rattle

Some items warranted closer examination
Most know I am terrified of heights. Sometimes you just need proper motivation

On the lift at the CRC

Very special items are kept on that top shelf. I did not photograph them
The sensory details these objects provided are crucial in story telling, especially in written form.

We are ready to tell some stories.

Chahta Siah,
Sarah Elisabeth

No comments: